What is Google My Business, and why is it important for businesses? I’m going to tell you right now.
Google My Business is a profile that most local small businesses have. Whether you are aware of it or not, it’s there. It is oftentimes the first thing to show up when someone searches for your business on Google.
The profile shows information such as your company’s name, address, phone number, and website.
Why is it important?
Well first, it gives customers and potential customers a chance to contact you. It also gives them a chance to leave your company a review.
This is great news for businesses that do good work, as they’ll probably have lots of positive reviews. If that’s not the case, then it may be time to start asking for your past customers to leave you a review. You can do this by adding a Review Us button to your website, you can add a link to your email signature, or you can just straight up ask for it. This is completely in-inline with Google’s guidelines, so don’t be afraid to ask. The more positive reviews your business has, the more likely customers and search engines like Google are going to trust your business.
And while this is great for business who do great work, it’s not so good for businesses that do poor work, as the customers are likely to leave you a bad review on your Google My Business listing.
How can you fix this? Well, there isn’t really a quick fix, unfortunately. You can report the reviews as spam if they actually are spam, but oftentimes that doesn’t work. So what can you do?
Well, first you can respond to the negative reviews. Now, don’t lash out at them for leaving you a bad review, as that will only make the situation worse because the public can see your response. What you should do is take a day, come up with a thoughtful response showing that you care about your customers, and ask if there’s anything you can do at this point. Never get defensive, and try to understand their point of view.
Secondly, bad reviews are not the end of the world. Most businesses receive them at some point, and the best thing you can do is learn from it, and not let it happen again. You can also try to get more positive reviews on the listing to try to weigh down the negative reviews.
Do you have any pointers for how to optimzie a Google My Business listing?
Well hey, that’s a great question. I absolutely have some more pointers for your Google My Business listing. I’m glad you asked 😉
Now, the features on the listing itself are constantly updating. Google is always making changes trying to better the customer experience.
Here are some quick tips:
- Add photos of your employees, the inside of your building, or a storefront photo. Maybe give customers a behind the scenes look. These are all great ideas to make your company look more approachable.
- Add a business message. This is essentially a greeting that you give to those who come across your profile. Tell them about your services and why they should choose you over your competitors.
- Add services and products. By doing so, you are giving Google more information to work with about your business.
- Create a post. You don’t have to overdo it, but every once in a while, tell customers about your promotions or a special that you have going on.
- Let customers review you straight from the listing. Some customers don’t want to talk on the phone, so the messaging system allows them to contact you without calling.
Alright, I hope you learned lots about Google My Business. If you have any more questions about it, shoot me a message by filling out the contact form below. I’m here to help. Have a good day.